Welcome on the Szent István University Institute of Crop Pruduction's homepage!
The predecessor of the Gödöllő University of Agricultural Sciences was the Agricultural Division of the Faculty of Economics of the Budapest University of Sciences. The Crop Production Department was founded in 1920, where the general and specific plant production subjects have been established.
The first head of the department was professor Kálmán Kerpely (1964-1940) who directed that for 16 years, until the reogranization in 1934, when the department was moved to the Agricultural Division of the Faculty of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine of the József Nádor University of Technology and Economics and existed until the end of the war.
The Faculty of Agriculture (at the University of Agricultural Sciences) was established in 1945, with four regional classes (Budapest, Debrecen, Keszthely and Óvár). The Crop Production Department, which was the legal predecessor of the faculty, was headed by professor János Surányi (1886-1965) until 1949 in Budapest. Teaching of general crop production belonged to this department.
Between 1949-1963 the Department of Crop production – which was placed to Gödöllő in September 1950 – was directed by Károly Kolbai. The Soil-tillage Department and the discipline was separeted in 1951, with the leadership of professor A. P. Szoboljev, who directed the new department for 3 years. Between 1953 and 1957 Gábor Sipos (1903-1994) took over the leadership. In 1957 there was a reorganization again when the Soil-tillage Department was abolished, and the education was merged with the crop production sciences. Between 1963-1974 under the leadership of professor Dénes Penyigey (1909-1974) within the department a soil tillage division was established and the course leader was József Bence associate professor. The grassland management group was lead by Bertalan Baskay Tóth (1903-1976).
The leadership of the soil tillage and crop production education between 1974 and 1983 was preformed by professor József Lőrinc (1918-1992). Within the framework of the Department, the soil tillage division was led by Sándor Sipos (1925-1983). After the death of professor Sipos the division was supervised by professor József Antal for one year. Between 1984 and 1990 professor Miklós Szabó (1932-2014) was the head of the Crop Production Department. After 1984 the leader of the soil division was Imre Dorogi (1934-1998).
In 1990 the Crop Production Institute has been established with three departments. The first director of the Institute was professor Zoltán Menyhért. From 1999 to 2013 professor Márton Jolánkai was the head of the institute. Since 2000, when the Szent István University was established, this structure was maintained. Since 1994 the leader of the soil tillage department is professor Márta Birkás, and the crop production department was headed by professor András Máté.
The grassland management education has been established in 1949 when the the predecessor of the University of Agricultural Sciences moved to Gödöllő. Since 1990 it is a part of the Crop Production Institute and it is the country’s only grassland management department. First it was headed by professor Zoltán Barcsák (1932-2008), between 2008 and 2012 by László Szemán and from 2012 by Julianna Tasi.
The leadership of the Faculty in 2006 changed the stucture of respective departments within the Crop Production Institute. The present head of the Institute is Csaba Gyuricza, dean of the Faculty from 2013.